Friday 31 July 2009

Cragging and Fishing


Donald climbing the first route



Two evenings in a row outdoors - that doesn’t happen very often!

On Wednesday night I went out with Donald and Ruaridh to Pinnacle Crag at Duntelchaig, the aim was to get me to dangle off the end of a bit of rope and actually climb something. The missed opportunities at Erraid had been gnawing away at me and Donalds assurance of easy routes and no pressure was enough to persuade me to at least give it a try.


Ruaraidh finishing up on the second route



Success!!


After infinite patience (on Donald’s part) and much swearing, sweating and grunting (on my part) I finally managed to haul myself up a 10 metre Vdiff! Conquering my psychological fears was a bigger battle than actually climbing the thing. Moving on from there we tackled another wee route with a nice little crack that finished things off at the top, this one was probably slightly harder (certainly the top section made you think) but all the easier for the fact that I’d managed to get over my fears and go for it. I came home a bit scraped and bruised but very happy.


The View from Pinnacle Crag, Duntelchaig


Thursday night was slightly more relaxed - a fishing trip to Rosemarkie was the cure for a hectic day. My daughter tried her hand at fishing for the first time and seemed pretty taken with it, although I’m not sure that scrambling over the rock pools was more of an interest for her. I managed to lose three sets of gear in the rocks and caught the sum total of a bit of seaweed and a lump of mud! Not that I cared though. The sun setting behind us and a reasonably warm evening more than made up for it.


Rhiannon reels them in




No comments: